After graduating from high school and college or suddenly finding themselves single after a long-term relationship ends, some men and women have found that it’s challenging to meet new people for a romantic relationship. Sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring isn’t the way to meet new people. On the flip side, trying too hard may scare potential boyfriends or girlfriends away. Be assertive and know where to look to find a good match.
Take a look around. Mr. or Ms. Right may be in the next cubicle over. Large companies are likely to have policies regarding office dating, so before searching for a suitable partner at the workplace, contact human resources and ask. Most likely, the policy will be that it’s okay to date someone in another department or even the same department as long as one person isn’t in a supervisory position that affects the other one.
Tips for an office romance:
- Keep all e-mails and phone calls professional at the office.
- Avoid flirting at the office because this type of action can make coworkers uncomfortable.
- Don’t commit public displays of affection at the office.
- Avoid sharing intimate details of the relationship with coworkers.
- Accept the fact that others may gossip about the relationship, but don’t provide gossip material.
Find Love in Mutual Interest Groups
Jot down a list of all hobbies and special interests. Some of the best places to meet others are public places, meetings and events. Visit these places alone because always having a sidekick may intimidate someone else who may be interested in striking up a conversation.
Places to meet someone:
- Public library
- Sports gatherings
- Civic club meetings
- Political rallies
- Charity events
Online Dating Service
As people’s lives grow more hectic by the day, they’re likely to turn to the Internet to meet new people. This gives men and women the opportunity to screen potential romantic interests before meeting, rather than wasting their time with someone who may not have the same interests or values. Whether someone uses traditional dating sites, or hookup apps, or even free adult phone chat for a quick fun, all of these avenues allow singles to explore options using the Internet.
Important tips for online dating:
- Be honest in the questionnaires because eventually, the other person will discover anything that isn’t true.
- If a picture is required, use a current one.
- Don’t expect others to be as honest. Be discerning and extremely cautious.
- Take safety precautions during the first live meeting.
- Avoid appearing emotionally needy by getting too romantic too quickly.
- Don’t get involved with too many online matches, or none of them will get the attention they deserve.
Ask friends if they know of a good match. The advantage of being introduced by buddies is that they already have an idea of the personalities and interests of both parties.
Tips for meeting someone through friends:
- Once the match is made, don’t expect the friend to relay information back and forth.
- Thank the friend, even if the connection isn’t ideal.
- Avoid dumping on the friend in the event of a breakup.
People who are seeking new relationships with the hope for a love connection have a variety of ways to meet others, including the office, mutual interest groups, online dating services and matchmaking friends. Then it’s time to get to know the other person one-on-one.